My first week at East Fairmont High School was exciting and nerve racking. I was nervous to be working with students that were older, had attitudes, and thought they knew it all. I also didn’t know anyone at EFHS. After attending the meetings before school with the teachers and getting to know the other Interns I was looking forward to working with these fellow educators and being on a high level of knowledge than elementary students. The first day at EFHS was all about “The Test”. The principals opening ceremony was about raising test scores. Then, we split into groups by subject and analyze the test scores. It was tiring and not encouraging. There was no, lets have a good year or welcome back teachers. It was just about the test, ALL DAY. The next day was filled with planning and faculty senate. The teachers were in a better mood considering their opinions finally could be told. I learned that if you want teachers to listen and support you, listen and support them. Welcome your teachers back with open arms and encouragement. Monday, was the first day for students and the first time I would be around high school students as a teacher. The freshmen were “clapped” into the gym. It was one of the neatest things I have ever seen. The band played and the other classmen cheered as the freshmen entered the gym. It was very warming and welcoming, a great idea. I went into high school not knowing what to expect. I have 7 students and some days 8. I am teaching 5 subjects, Its tiring and a lot of work to teach 5 subjects ,same students in the same room all day. It is exhausting and takes lots of hard work. My classroom has no text books. So, I take the information from the CSO’s to make my lessons. I have started teaching history, science, math, and pre-voc. I am jumping right into my class work since I am only in high school 5 short weeks. My students are eager to learn, they are always excited when I start teaching. They listen to me and ask questions. I am very pleased with how eager my students are to learn information. My favorite thing that happened last week would be taking my students upstairs to the Chemistry lab and having another intern teach my students science equipment. They also watched him boil water with a Bunsen burner. My students loved going into a regular education classroom and doing things other students were doing. I feel like if they took anything from going to the science classroom, it was well work. I am currently planning another activity in the science lab. My first week in the high school was not as bad as expected. Actually, I truly am enjoying myself. The teachers, interns, and students are very welcoming and nice. After this experience I can see myself teaching in a high school setting. One day last week one of my students came to me and said “ Ms. V were buddies, we go together like peas in a pod”. That made me realize that I have touched these students lives.
I am glad to hear your first week went so well. You are right, the first couple of days are not always as encouraging as we might like...I think that reminds us how much we like working with the kids :). Every time we have a visiting special education intern, they always come in with reservation about working with the older kids. I believe all of them have found that it is enjoyable, and not as intimidating as they originally thought.
I am glad you are collaborating with another intern to take your students to a science lab...that is great!! I know the students are enjoying it.
I know the five weeks go very quickly, so enjoy the rest of your time here. If you need anything or have any problems, please don't hesitate to contact me.
First Week in High School as a Special Educator
ReplyDeleteMy first week at East Fairmont High School was exciting and nerve racking. I was nervous to be working with students that were older, had attitudes, and thought they knew it all. I also didn’t know anyone at EFHS. After attending the meetings before school with the teachers and getting to know the other Interns I was looking forward to working with these fellow educators and being on a high level of knowledge than elementary students.
The first day at EFHS was all about “The Test”. The principals opening ceremony was about raising test scores. Then, we split into groups by subject and analyze the test scores. It was tiring and not encouraging. There was no, lets have a good year or welcome back teachers. It was just about the test, ALL DAY. The next day was filled with planning and faculty senate. The teachers were in a better mood considering their opinions finally could be told. I learned that if you want teachers to listen and support you, listen and support them. Welcome your teachers back with open arms and encouragement.
Monday, was the first day for students and the first time I would be around high school students as a teacher. The freshmen were “clapped” into the gym. It was one of the neatest things I have ever seen. The band played and the other classmen cheered as the freshmen entered the gym. It was very warming and welcoming, a great idea.
I went into high school not knowing what to expect. I have 7 students and some days 8. I am teaching 5 subjects, Its tiring and a lot of work to teach 5 subjects ,same students in the same room all day. It is exhausting and takes lots of hard work. My classroom has no text books. So, I take the information from the CSO’s to make my lessons. I have started teaching history, science, math, and pre-voc. I am jumping right into my class work since I am only in high school 5 short weeks. My students are eager to learn, they are always excited when I start teaching. They listen to me and ask questions. I am very pleased with how eager my students are to learn information.
My favorite thing that happened last week would be taking my students upstairs to the Chemistry lab and having another intern teach my students science equipment. They also watched him boil water with a Bunsen burner. My students loved going into a regular education classroom and doing things other students were doing. I feel like if they took anything from going to the science classroom, it was well work. I am currently planning another activity in the science lab.
My first week in the high school was not as bad as expected. Actually, I truly am enjoying myself. The teachers, interns, and students are very welcoming and nice. After this experience I can see myself teaching in a high school setting. One day last week one of my students came to me and said “ Ms. V were buddies, we go together like peas in a pod”. That made me realize that I have touched these students lives.
Morgan,
ReplyDeleteI am glad to hear your first week went so well. You are right, the first couple of days are not always as encouraging as we might like...I think that reminds us how much we like working with the kids :). Every time we have a visiting special education intern, they always come in with reservation about working with the older kids. I believe all of them have found that it is enjoyable, and not as intimidating as they originally thought.
I am glad you are collaborating with another intern to take your students to a science lab...that is great!! I know the students are enjoying it.
I know the five weeks go very quickly, so enjoy the rest of your time here. If you need anything or have any problems, please don't hesitate to contact me.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete