This week was the first week I got to implement my action research. Last week I tried to but my students were absent so I could not do the direct instruction and one day I was in another classroom. This week I gave my students their spelling words on Monday and they did their stations ( spelling words on white board, stamping words, abc order, hairy book) then on Wednesday I gave a pre-test. One of my students got a 100 so I couldn’t use him for the direct instruction, another students was absent, so I could only work with one students. This student missed 5 out of 10 words on the pre-test. It was mostly mixing up letters or leaving out a letter. So on Thursday (the day I got observed) I did direct instruction with him. During the direct instruction he did a good job hitting his arm for every letter that needed to be spelling in the word, he also participated nicely. Having him use his arm to spell the 4 words that he missed. He did each word 3 times, but the ones he had a hard time on such as buying he did 4 times. On Friday I also did the direct instruction with just the words his missed, this time he held a card that had the word on it and he did the direct instruction spelling the word down his arm and saying the word. On Friday my student missed 4 out of 10. Using the word another he left out the 0, the same thing he did on the pre-test, he spelled the word after correctly on the spelling test but missed it on the pre-test, on the spelling test and pre-test he mixed up the words birthday and buying. So the student spelling after correctly after the direct instruction but the other words he got in correct. Friday last week was also the students Halloween party so I am not sure if this had any affect to his motivation or not. Also, last week I got observed by my liaison. It could not have gone worse. My students were being stubborn and were not working. It took twice as long for them to do their warm-up and was not staying on task so I spent a majority of my time keeping them on task. But, one good thing that did come out of the observation is that I need to work on staying calm and motivating students who are not working. I have to stay positive because my students can sense as soon as I am getting worked up. So next week, I am going to work on staying calm.
This week was the first week I got to implement my action research. Last week I tried to but my students were absent so I could not do the direct instruction and one day I was in another classroom. This week I gave my students their spelling words on Monday and they did their stations ( spelling words on white board, stamping words, abc order, hairy book) then on Wednesday I gave a pre-test. One of my students got a 100 so I couldn’t use him for the direct instruction, another students was absent, so I could only work with one students. This student missed 5 out of 10 words on the pre-test. It was mostly mixing up letters or leaving out a letter. So on Thursday (the day I got observed) I did direct instruction with him. During the direct instruction he did a good job hitting his arm for every letter that needed to be spelling in the word, he also participated nicely. Having him use his arm to spell the 4 words that he missed. He did each word 3 times, but the ones he had a hard time on such as buying he did 4 times. On Friday I also did the direct instruction with just the words his missed, this time he held a card that had the word on it and he did the direct instruction spelling the word down his arm and saying the word. On Friday my student missed 4 out of 10. Using the word another he left out the 0, the same thing he did on the pre-test, he spelled the word after correctly on the spelling test but missed it on the pre-test, on the spelling test and pre-test he mixed up the words birthday and buying. So the student spelling after correctly after the direct instruction but the other words he got in correct. Friday last week was also the students Halloween party so I am not sure if this had any affect to his motivation or not.
ReplyDeleteAlso, last week I got observed by my liaison. It could not have gone worse. My students were being stubborn and were not working. It took twice as long for them to do their warm-up and was not staying on task so I spent a majority of my time keeping them on task. But, one good thing that did come out of the observation is that I need to work on staying calm and motivating students who are not working. I have to stay positive because my students can sense as soon as I am getting worked up. So next week, I am going to work on staying calm.