Friday, September 10, 2010

Week 3 Reflection

Being flexible is important in any classroom setting!

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, this week seem to go by so slow even though it was only a four day week. After the Labor Day holiday, I spent time reviewing with my class what we had went over the week before. We talked about greater than, less than and fractions. In English we started reading The Glorious Whitewasher. It is a part from Tom Sawyer. The Students really enjoyed learning about Mark Twain and identifying information about the author. I introduced the vocabulary words and discussed the characters. We read the story aloud as a class. The students and I discussed terms that were used in the book called “idiom”. The terms had different meaning and the students really enjoyed learning that when Tom was talking about being “licked” by Aunt Polly he was talking about being spanked. Also the students liked the term “rolling in wealth”, they thought that was a funny term for being rich. I gave a quiz on Tom Sawyer and most of my students got a 100 which made me feel really good. Also, we did a worksheet on compound words, discussing what a compound word was and how to identify it.
    The craziest thing happened this week. One of my students was out 2 days and the day they came he slept. Well today I reviewed fractions and how to identify them and gave an 18 question quiz. He got a 100. This student cannot read, but his math skills are excellent. I thought it was neat to see that even though he struggles in one subject he is so strong in another. He answered questions aloud and helped other students in the classroom. He participated, which is more than he had done all week so I considered that a complement and was glad he was enjoying what we were doing.
    Being in the high school is fun, but the schedules are crazy. This week was picture day and another day was class speeches. You have to be very flexible. Well only 2 more weeks till I am back to my little kiddies. But, I a am enjoying my students and learning about their needs and their hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four-day weeks DO feel longer; I think it's because you have to play catch-up for missing the Monday. I was in the building on Wednesday, and it WAS crazy with all the picture day business. I'm glad you worked through the idioms with your students. It's easy to assume that students already know what they mean when they don't.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.