Friday, September 24, 2010

Week 5 Reflection

My last week adventures at EFHS, Hello Anna Jarvis Elementary

1 comment:

  1. This past week was my last week at East Fairmont. In class, we finished our animal classification and the students cut out pictures of animals in magazines. The students also familiarized themselves with the newspaper. We did scavenger hunts to locate different things in the newspapers. The students also worked on identifying headlines in the paper. We continued to talk and discuss current events, and find out what was going on in the world us. In pre-voc my students worked on priorities and how important it is to put the important things first. Also, we wrote down the step by step instructions to making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The students had to make sure to include things like gather ingredients, opening lids, taking off lids, taking the bread out of the bag and other detailed steps. The students really liked doing this activity, and it was funny because they would leave out steps so they would be holding their bread in their hand while trying to take off a lid, and they might forget to write that they need to pick up a knife to scoop the jelly.
    One of my favorite activities this week was an M&M lab. The students each got their own package of M&M’s. They had to predict how many M&M’s were in the bag, count them and write the difference between guess and actual. Then they had to sort their M&M’s by color. We used those numbers to do greater than less than or equal to and to add colors together. The students took this information to make a graph of their total number of M&Ms. The students really enjoyed working with food and it was nice of them to be able to SEE which color had more because of the manipulative.
    My overall experience at EFHS has been very beneficial and a serious learning experience. I got to work in a classroom with 8 students, teach 5 subjects and teach vocational skills. I also co-taught in an English 9 class, worked with students with Down syndrome, MI, and behavior disorders. I found out what it was like to work with an aid, and how she can affect you and your classroom. I learned that rewards should match consequences and how favoritism can affect your classroom. I truly enjoyed my experience at East Fairmont; I believe it helped me grow as a stronger educator and as a person. I learned that sometimes you may need to back up in your lessons if students don’t understand. I learned that sometimes activities take longer than expected so you must adjust your plans as needed. Working with high school students in the modified diploma classroom has also made me open my eyes to situations that students are in and how you never know what happens to a student once they leave the school. I also learned how much these students can affect your life and open your heart. I enjoyed working with high school students and I look forward to come back to this setting and school.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.