Sunday, October 3, 2010

Week 6 Reflection

My first week at Anna Jarvis Elementary

1 comment:

  1. This was my first week at Anna Jarvis Elementary after being in a high school for 5 weeks. I have been working on getting adjusted to the different age levels and routines from my last placement. At Anna Jarvis, I am in a third and fourth grade special education classroom. I have 6 students total and not all students are in the room at the same time. Each student does different activities every day. So even if their are 5 children in my room they are all working on different assignments. I also have a first grader in my classroom who will definitely keep my attention.
    This classroom is completely focused on individualized student work and independence. The students have a routine and they know how their routine works. It is amazing to see how successful this classroom is and how well the students can stay on task when doing their individual stations. My classroom has alot of stations that have to do with spelling, language arts, or any time of subject you could want. It is amazing to see how well this classroom is set up. Students stay on task and if they start to wonder my teacher sets a timer and gives them a goal. The behavior plan in my classroom is also very effective. My teacher takes away and apple and write exactly what the student did on their individual behavior chart. If they get 1 or less that get a sticker at the end of the day. These students respond extremely well to this behavior plan.
    This week I mostly observed the routine of my mentor teacher. Her students are still working on adjusting, but are doing much better so I wanted to make sure I could follow her techniques when it comes to assignments, behaviors, and everything else the class does. Next week, I will be checking morning warm-ups and checking stations. So I will be slowly getting more involved and I am excited to work with these students.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.