Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Week 2 Reflection

Waking up early is getting easier in week 2.

2 comments:

  1. My first week of teaching all subjects besides Reading was exciting and tiring. I would make my lesson plans during the week or weekend after talking with my mentor teacher. Then, I would have to go back throughout the week and adjust and change lessons because we did not get as far as I would like or something took longer than planned. It is a lot of work but adjusting is something that is important to having a classroom, you have to remember not everything can go as planned.
    All week my students and I worked on learning science equipment, learning about inventions, researching our own inventions, understanding greater than and less than, and learning about values and responsibility. My students did an excellent job of knowing what Science equipment was and how it was used. I had pictured printed that I would show them and we would discuss the names. Then we took a quiz matching the pictures to the words. In history, we read about interventions. The students learned who made the light bulb, the telephone, the car, and the stoplight. I printed picture of each object and the students placed them on a timeline. It’s really neat to see students faces when they “get” something. At the end of the week we played Science/Social Studies Bingo. The students really enjoyed the educational game and it is definitely something I would do again.
    In math I reviewed with my students greater than less than, using the alligator method. At first, they were confused when placing the greater than less than sign in between two numbers. But then after reviewing and teaching them tricks like, think of the numbers as money or circle the bigger number and remember the big part of the alligator it’s the “Big Mac”, my students could understand it more.
    Getting adjusted to waking up at 5:15 every morning has been difficult. But I truly enjoy working with my students, getting to know them and watching them learn. My students are hilarious, I laugh most of the day, but I just hope they are actually learning what I am teaching them. I truly enjoy working with all these students. I am looking forward to next week and teaching all subjects. But, I figure my students will be tired after a long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are going well. Special ed. is something I don't have much experience in, but it sounds like you're doing a lot to keep everyone engaged in their learning.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.